Thursday, February 18, 2010

I love the Olympics

I have always loved the Olympics, but then who doesn't? Last nights events were amazing to say the least. The women's downhill was beyond belief. I can not believe how fast those women get going on the slopes. My heart was pounding as I watched many competitors get taken down by the monster mountain and insanely dangerous icy conditions. I felt myself tensing up as soon as one of them started their run, and didn't relax until it ended. I was glad that Julia Mancuso was able to hold on to the Silver and that Lindsey Vonn was able to pull out in front for the Gold. Lindsey's emotional interviews, both before and after the race, made me stop and think, what amazing athletes these women are, they truly give up a lot for their sport. Even more amazing to me is to watch them crash at 80 - 90 mph and then get up and walk away. Wow, I think I would just lay their until someone came and got me. Go team USA!

On to the snowboarding competition! Back to back Olympic gold medals for Shaun White. Impressive doesn't even begin to scratch the surface on how I felt about Shaun White's half pipe competition last night. Did you see the amount of air that boy was getting, it was INSANE! I loved when the showed an overlap of his run with one of the other guys, Shaun was easily getting 5 - 6 more feet of air! How would it be to grab the top spot on your first run and then know that your last run you didn't have to do anything because you had already won the Gold . I bet his final run, which by the way was even better than his first, had to have felt great, knowing he could just go out and have fun. I can't forget Scotty Lago, he to had an impressive night. His first run was clean and powerful, however his second run he had a bit of a slip up and he wasn't able to pull out of Bronze position. Still Bronze is a medal, way to go Scotty. The only thing that would have made the night better would have been if Louie Vito would have been able to pull higher scores and made it to the medal stand with his team mates. He had clean runs, but they weren't enough to pull him through and he ended up in a disappointing 5th place. None the less way to go Team USA!

Finally, speed skating. I wasn't able to see much of the speed skating, but I did see Shani Davis take his victory lap around the rink. Another story of back to back Gold's for a USA Olympic athlete, impressive. Chad Hendrick was able to gain the bronze medal. I love it when there are two from the USA on the podium together. There was a lot of qualifying going on, and I'll be excited to see what happens next in the Speed Skating events. Stay tuned for Apollo who as of now is the greatest winter Olympian - he has the most medals won in winter Olympic games, plus he was the winner of Dancing with the stars a few years back.

All in all it was an amazing day for the USA Team. Six medals in one day, three gold, one silver, and two bronze. Cody can't grasp the concept that it is Team USA not Team Utah. He cheers, "go Team Utah", it busts us all up. We have told him over and over again TEAM USA, but it's not getting through. I told him last night that if he wants to call it Team Utah that was fine because most of the skiers and snowboarders, as well as others, call their home somewhere in Utah. Way to go Utah for producing so many amazing Olympic Athletes. Can't wait to see how the rest of the games pan out. Again, Go Team Utah, oops I meant Team USA!

2 comments:

  1. I too love the olympics and Shawn White's run was AMAZING. I havne't gotten to watch much since I am always working but I did get to see both his and Lyndsey's. What a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Team Utah! I love that! Yes, the Olympics are so fun!

    ReplyDelete