Monday, September 14, 2009

FAREWELL TO OUR SWEET BABE!! Missing you TONS!!

Saying Good bye to someone you love is never easy, even if that someone is really furry, has four legs and sheds EVERYWHERE!

This is my tribute to our beloved dog BABE. Babe brought so much happiness into our home and I would feel disrespectful to her if I didn't share something about her with you. It's my mom's "fault" that Babe ended up in our home (Thanks mom - give her a pet for me up in Heaven!) One day in March of 04' my mom and I where walking through Cottonwood mall on the 2nd floor. Mom said, "let's go into furburbia, the kids will love looking at the animals." "No Thanks", I said. I had lost my dog Sadie about 6 months earlier and I wasn't in the mood to look at animals, especially not dogs, but my mom insisted we go on! When I walked in I was imediatley drawn to BABE, her beautiful big brown eyes captured me in even back then. I was so taken with her, but thought, Dave would kill me if I brought another dog home. That night I told Dave all about her (actually the sign said she was a he so at first I thought Babe was a him). He said, "Why didn't you bring "him" home. So then begun the process in getting BABE. She was on her last chance weekend - that means they where going to put her down on Monday, it was Saturday. By the time I called Furburbia it was to late, they had closed. We called over the Humane Society and they said she was on her way back to them, but they were closing soon. We told them to hold her for us and that we would pick her up the next day. Sunday after church Kassy and I went to pick Babe up, leaving Dave, Jessy, Cody and our other dog Brandy at home. When I filled out the paperwork I was told that we would have to bring Brandy in to meet Babe to make sure they were compatiable. I called Dave and he drug our 2 babies and Brandy to the Humane Society. The 2 dogs seemed to get along fine so we paid our money, picked out a collar and headed home. Once we got home I let Babe out back I then walked around front to make sure the gate was closed and went back inside heading straight for the back yard to begin then next adventure with BABE. When I got back outside Babe was gone. To this day we still don't know how she got out, but she did. We started combing the neighborhood for her. Mind you, Cody is 6 months old, Jessy is 2 and Kassy is 7. We searched for hours with no luck. Some kids told us they saw her headed down towards Redwood Road by Mtn America CU. Dave brought the kids and I back to the house and said, "I'll go look for her one more time", both of us thinking, "She is dead". After he left Kassy said, "mom, how about we pray that dad finds our dog." The sweet faith of a child and the POWER of prayer! So the 4 of us sat down and prayed, not more than 10 minutes later Dave showed up with our BABE!!!! She had been who knows where. Dave found her running back towards our house on Redwood Road. How she survived that run I'll never know. For weeks after that she sat around pouting. She would sit at the top of the stairs in our loft and literally POUT! If the door opened she would make a mad dash for it! Slowly that changed and she began to realize that we loved her and that she had a good home. We didn't know where she had been before we got her - she was 3 or 4 at the time, all we knew is that her previous family left her at the Humane Society. How could someone have left her behind??? Babe became a different dog after a few weeks. She loved being with us. If we left without her, she was crushed, but would always forgive us once we got home. She would meet us with kisses on the side panel window while she waited for us to open the door or if she was outside (which was a rare occassion, because she would rather be with us then be outside) she would greet us with a howl that sounded just like Hello! How we all miss her welcoming us home. Our house isn't the same without her here.

I could go on forever with stories of our Sweet BABE! She was part of our family and has left a void in our hearts. Everyone LOVED her. We miss her everyday and will forever more. If you are not an animal lover you might not understand our attachment for Babe, but she wasn't just our dog, she was part of our family!!! The day we put her down was one of the hardest days of my life. I was sure that we would be able to bring her home from our camping trip, but her time had come. She stopped eating and drinking and couldn't even stand up on her own and once she did get up then she couldn't get back down because it hur to bad. My hope is that she is out of pain, running and playing and that she forgives us for having to leave her in Wilson, WY. We are now waitng for her remains and a simple paw print to hang on our wall, knowing that the print she left on our hearts is everlasting and we will remember her always. Much love to our SWEET BABE!!!!
















3 comments:

  1. So sorry about Babe. Those darn dogs find a way into our hearts, and then when they leave it is so painful. You don't realize how much they are a part of your life and family until they are gone. Will there be another dog in your family's future?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about Babe. Do you have any dogs at home now? I remember several at one time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tear jerking post! My heart still breaks for your sweet family. When we were pulling away from you guys that morning I just wanted to sob for you knowing that you were facing such an emotionally draining, daunting task. Babe knew how much you all loved her, I could see it that morning each time she looked at any of you. Don't doubt that with her last breath she knew how loved she was. I know she didn't want to do that to you guys, I think her heart broke at the decision that was forced on you guys. You are a great doggy mama and any 4 legged creature that gets to live with you guys is very lucky!
    Love you all!

    ReplyDelete