Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Journey of the Trail - Trek 2009

Recap of Trek 2009 - Tonight was our Family Reunion - It was great to see all of our "kids".

I have to admit, as a youth I never-ever-ever wanted to go on trek. My sister told me horror stories about the trek she went on, so when it was my turn to go I found every reason possible as to why I couldn't go. Years later I regreted not going so when Dave and I got asked tobe a Ma and Pa 8 years ago, I was so excited. Unfortunatley we couldnt go (pregnant with Jessy) so my fullfillment of trek dreams was crushed. Then 4 years later we were asked again to go as Ma and Pa and again we had to say no (Trek fell on Kassy's 8th birthday). As they say, third time is a charm, and it truely was. I was so excited when we got called as Ma and Pa, and yea, we could actually go. Dave was okay with the idea until he heard we had to sing, dance and play games. Our previous bishop wrote me in an email to tell Dave not to fear because not all Pioneers sand and danced, some were used for their muscle. That began to be my own personal joke. I wasn't taking Dave for anything but his "Srength"!

Preparing for Trek was a huge challenge, very time consuming and very expensive. I have joked that I've paid my fast offerings for the year in what I paid out in Trek - lol! Dave was super busy with work, school and come on let's be honest, play. He wasn't a ton of help in getting things put together. I do have to admit though, that I am a bit of a freak and have a tendency to go over board in preparing. (I know some of you are saying to yourselves right about now - REALLY?)

The time for trek finally came. I was nervous about leaving my kids, worried about my health, due to some health issues I had in the early spring and scared to death about pulling off a worth while experience for our Trek "family". But all my fears were soon erased. Our Trek Family - affectinatley known as "Da Mormons, surpassed all of my hopes of having a great family. Each one of them brought something special to our family. I feel honored to call them my kids and humbled to have them continue to call me their "TREK MA".

So here's the quick version of Trek - otherwise this could get a bit lengthy. Family: Pa - Dave, Ma - Karey, Big bro - John, Big sis - Jen, kids in no particular order - Sean, Chase, David, Wilson, Jordan, Heidi, Shandy and Lindsey. They made our family complete, they never complained, they helped out and as a bonus for Dave they weren't huge on playing games or singing songs - However our boys would sing little inserts of songs to entertain themselves as they walked. It was entertaining for all of us. The boys also played a game that I'll call kick the rock. I know, sounds kind of boring, but whatever entertains. Rules for the game, kick the rock until it goes off the trail! Our girls brought pretty amazing qualities with them. Heidi hurt her arm yet carried on. Shandy had blisters so bad she could hardley walk, yet she carried on. And Lindsey had 1 of her hands on the cart literally the whole time, carrying on. All of our kids hold a special place in my heart!

I know, I know, quick version! Fabulous Food, Great Games, Learning Opportunities and Spirital Growth sum up Trek pretty quickly. I am so glad that I was finally able to go. My hope is that in 4 years I will be able to go again and be there with Kassy. Just 1 final thing and then I'll wrap up this post. Like I said before I was taking Dave for his "strength" joking like meaning muscle, but what I got was his "strength" in so many other ways. 1 of the most powerful moments for me on Trek was when Dave was asked to fight in with the mormon battalion and had to leave. I was very aware of his strength leaving me and knowing that I had to pull the weight without him - something I do not EVER want to have to do again. Pulling the cart with my girls on the women's pull truely was one of the most powerful experiences of my life. As I came up over the top of the hill I couldn't look at Dave because I knew if I did Iwould lose it. Once the pull was over and the boys took the cart from us. Dave said "good job" Those words meant more then he will ever know. Dave at times drvies me CRAZY, but he truely is my strength (wow - sappy)!

So much more I could add, but I think I better call it a wrap. Below are some pictures of our incredible adventure. We are 'Da Mormons!!

Ward Family - Right before we loaded the buses


Ma and Pa
'Da Boys








'Da Girls



'Da End!









2 comments:

  1. Looks like an amazing experience. I have never wanted to go on trek but after listening to the cool experiences you had, I MIGHT consider it...
    So glad all your hard work paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading your experience! I hope Ry and I can go again in 4 years too!

    ReplyDelete