Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Book Reviews

I've been MIA for the past few weeks due to the fact that I have had my nose stuck in a book, actually several books. I thought I'd share with you some of my book "experiences". If you are interested, I've got a book list on my Blog that I will continue to add to.

I use to be a huge reader then I stopped because I didn't have time for it. Kassy really wanted to read The Twilight Series, but My sister-in-laws suggested I read it before letting Kassy read it to make sure I was okay with the "material". Once I started reading it, I couldn't stop. As many of you already know, I read the series multiple times - love it!! Just so you know, I let Kassy read the 1st 3, but told her we would have to read the 4th 1 together. She has opted to wait until she can read it on her own, which might be awihle. After months of obsessing with "Twilight", I decided it was time to move on to something new. My friend Monica suggested the "Hunger Games", by: Suzanne Collins. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend you do. (For you Twilight fans, Stephanie Meyer recommends this series as well. She says, "I was obsessed with this book I had to take it with me out to dinner and hide it under the edge of the so table so I wouldn't have to stop reading..." They really are that good. There are 3 in the series. Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and a third one to be released next August. If you are like me and hate waiting for the next book in a series, I would suggest waiting until next August to read them. If you can be patient, go for it NOW! I devoured both books as soon as I got my hands on them and can't wait for the third one. She left me totally hanging. I love Katniss and Peeta.

My little brother also felt as if I might need some help in getting over my Twilight obsession. He said I needed to, "broden my horizons". He gave me "The Secret Life of Bees" by: Sue Monk Kidd, which I loved and now want to watch the movie, and "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister" by: Gregory Maguire - the author of Wicked. It is an interesting version of the Cinderella story. I struggled with it at first, I think because Cinderella is engraved in my head a totally different way and it was hard for me to see a different perspective. It was a little slow for my liking, however, in the end I liked how it was wrapped up and was proud of myself for going outside of my reading comfort zone.

Right before all the above mentioned books, I read a few of John Grishams books. "A Painted House", "The Broker" and "The king of Torts". All of these books were great, but then I think pretty much everything John Grisham has written has been great. He's got a whole list of books if you need a great read. I also read his newest one, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. It just came out in paperback.

My most recent readings have been from Richelle Mead and Alyson Noel. Richelle is the Author of "Vampire Academy". These books sucked me in just like "Twilight" did. I found myself pondering over the books when I wasn't reading them and becoming consumed by the characters. I loved Rose. She is a sassy half vampire, half human, wanna be guardian of her best friend Liss who is a full Mori vampire. I also love Dimitri he is Roses teacher/trainer/you'll have to read them to find out what else. There are 4 in this series that are out, with 2 more forth coming - AGH. Again, I can't wait for them to come out. Alsyon Noel is the Author of "Ever More" and "Blue Moon", another series that has one coming out next fall. This wasn't my favorite series, I think maybe because I always felt bad for the main character Ever, she has to go through so much. That being said, I still liked them and will read the next 1 as soon as it comes out. My biggest issue with both of these series is the language. Really, I don't understand why they have to throw in the swear words. I think that is one of the reason so many of us liked "The Twilight Series". They were written with such intense feeling that made us believe they were real and because the language for the most part was clean. I remember maybe 5 or less swear words in the entire series. Way to go Stephanie Meyer. I wish all writers would take her lead and clean up their writing.

So there are my book, reviews for the day. I've read a bunch more, but none that I feel as if I need to write anything about. As you can see I love to read. I think one of the main reasons I stopped reading was because I get so engrossed with a book that I can't do anything else. I just have to read and read and read and READ until it is done. That becomes an extremely huge problem when I read a series. If any of you have a book that you loved please let me know, I am always looking for a good book. Happy Reading to you all.

2 comments:

  1. That was a great list of book reviews. Thanks for sucking me into the Vampire Academy-stupid book! LOL, can't wait for the next one to come out so I can see what happens next! Still tearing up over the whole New Moon thing, seeing that picture is killing me! (It is right next to this while I am writing it.) Can't wait to get my hands on the next set of books you pass my way! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to get me those books! I really want to read them! Brad got me The Host and Wicked for my b-day. Love the musical Wicked, so I am hoping I'll love the book, and of course I can't wait to read the Host again!

    ReplyDelete